The MAS ETH MPP is built on a close partnership between ETH Zurich, the Swiss FDFA, and the foreign ministries of Germany, Finland and Sweden. It is supported by various international organisations, such as the UN, EU and OSCE.
The MAS ETH MPP provides partners with a structured approach to increasing their mediation capacity in a sustainable and targeted manner by:
- Training experts and diplomats from foreign ministries, the UN, regional organisations and non-state mediation entities;
- Supporting the mediation capacity of non-OECD countries through scholarships provided by strategic partners;
- Contributing to the only current, in-depth MAS programme for mediators in peace processes, thereby helping to professionalise the field.
There will be a strategic advisory board, which:
- Convenes under the patronage of the Swiss Federal Councillor, Didier Burkhalter;
- Consists of the Rector of ETH Zurich (Prof. Dr. Sarah M. Springman), the MAS programme management and representatives from the Swiss foreign ministry, other foreign ministries, and international organisations like the UN, EU, or OSCE;
- Supports the programme management as regards the MAS’s relevance to practice, international visibility, long-term financing and political marketing;
- Provides strategic partners with a platform to professionalise mediation, by exchanging on topics such as: trends in mediation, mediation career paths, mentoring, institutional structures for mediation, etc.